Sunday, June 19, 2011

June 19, 2011: Day 1, Yellowstone Adventure, Lewis and Clark Caverns

Our first day on our journey to Yellowstone!
We are eagerly anticipating our arrival in the park, but we had some stops along the way.  We stayed at the Lewis and Clark Caverns State Park, and visited the caverns for a tour.  It is a 2 mile, 2 hour guided tour, and it is excellent!


 Ripple marks at a rest stop along the Clark Fork River.
 Us girls collecting different grasses for our journals.
 Our camp site.
 Inside Lewis and Clark Caverns.



Rainbow over camp as we fixed dinner.
Journal
9:30 am June 19
We are on the road and driving to Coeur d'Alene for gas.  We are only 1.5 hours behind schedule!! :) I was asleep by 11:40 and got up at 5 (then "snoozed" till 5:25)  The girls were good for their bath and hair fixing, and we all have our camping hair!  I'm still a little worried, but any way the trip turns out, we'll have fun.
We were passing some beautiful trees over/through the mountains of Idaho.  My sketches to NOT do them justice, they were a deep green with a light green band of new growth. 
10:40 am
Lookout Pass, there is still snow at the ski resort!
1:50 pm Montana, Mountain Time
Stopped a ta pull out to get Abby's Tag pen and decided to collect some samples of grass to sketch.  We also saw a rock with ripple marks!
1:30 pm
We stopped to have lunch in Missoula.  The first place we saw was Subway, so that's what we are having.  We will not go to the World Museum of Mining today.  We are too far off schedule.  Maybe we'll have time on our way back home.  
10:30 pm
Lewis and Clark Caverns State Park
I am exhausted.  I am so thankful that we made it here safe and are tucked in.  I have lots to say but am awfully tired.  The cavern hike was really neat and I can't wait to see the pictures!  If I have time in the morning I'll sketch what we saw.  I'm going to go to sleep, and hopefully the mouse leaves us alone.


June 18th, 2011 (Pre-trip entry)
As I'm writing out my final (!) to do list for the trip, I'm concerned that we aren't ready.  If it weren't for the paid reservation for tomorrow night at Lewis and Clark Caverns, I would want to hold off one more day.  The car isn't packed, the girls need their "camping hair" done and I need to feel confident in our schedule!  This trip is going to be a "play it by ear" trip.  It is stressing me out!!  There are so many exciting things to see this week and we are all so excited.  
Another thing to worry about though is the weather!  Man, it's going to be cold!  I think we'll be okay, we have extra sleeping bags and blankets. ~Ahhh... we still need pillows for the adults ~add them to the list!  
I'm going to try to sleep and set my alarm for 5 or 530... hmmm... I want to leave before 8, final packing will take an hour, showers, hair, and breakfast another hour... I'll get up at 5!  If I fall asleep in the next 7 minutes, I'll get 5.5 hours of sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment